James “Murr” Murray is the constantly-smiling guy who looks like a ferret, according to his fellow Jokers. Like the rest of them, he’s from Staten Island. Murr has been acting and doing comedy for years. About the success of Impractical Jokers, he’s said: “I think the comments that we get all the time, and I consider this a huge compliment, is that we remind people of the friends they had growing up and what they do with their friends. That means we’re doing our job right.”
Murr told DenOfGeek that some of his comedic influences include Richard Pryor, Steve Martin, Mel Brooks, Kids in the Hall, I Love Lucy, and the Zucker brothers movies, among others.
It turns out that Murr is one seriously smart guy. Besides his thriving comedy career, he’s also an accomplished author! He co-wrote a sci-fi horror book called Awakenedthat’s been optioned to be turned into a TV series. He told DenOfGeek, “I wrote the book in 2004. I spent a year of my life writing it. I have a degree in English from Georgetown, I can write a book, I felt confident in my book writing skills. I spent a year writing this book.” Murr plans to add two more novels to this one, making it a trilogy.
People who buy multiple copies of Awakened are in for a close encounter with this Joker. He says that he FaceTimes every person who buys at least 10 copies of it and reads them a chapter out loud.
Murr was the third Joker to lose his virginity, during which he wore two condoms. He was in a committed relationship with a woman named Tara, which ended sometime before the show began. Murr suffers from acrophobia (fear of heights).
Murr has been described on numerous occasions as an asshole by the other Jokers. This is likely the reason as to why he often receives the most absurd or humiliating punishments.
- Murr and Q have lost teeth in the middle of filming, both were caught on camera and used in the show. His issue escalated into a punishment. Both Jokers now have fake teeth.
- He speaks more than four languages, including Armenian, Dutch, Chinese and English.
- During one of their challenges in a pet store, Murr agreed to eat dog feces for $290.
- Murr has both nipples and his belly button pierced from one of this punishments.
- He shared an apartment with Joe when he was in high school.
- Being of Irish ancestry, he is the only Joker to not have any Italian ancestry.
- James ran for Congress as an April Fool's Day joke.
- Murr had some of the most ridiculous punishments in the show. This includes:
- Having an interview with Danica McKellar, his childhood crush, oiled and wearing a speedo.
- His apartment being destroyed by the jokers, in front of children.
- Receiving two prostate exams in front of an audience.
- Being dressed up as Dracula and brought out with a gospel choir in a crowded theatre.
- Wearing a wig made of Q's hair for the duration of a season.
- Murr, on the other hand, described seeing Britney Spears in Vegas as "awesome." He also further confirmed his lifelong love of Yanni, but fans of the show will already know all about that. Unfortunately.
- Art Attack
- Strip High Five
- The Truth Hurts
- Get Out of Dodge
- Human Pinata
- Not Safe For Work
- The Alliance
- Cyber Buddies
- Look Out Below
- Snow Way Out
- Jokers Playhouse
- Puncture Perfect
- Clash of the Jokers
- Tooth and Consequences
- In Poor Taste Buds
- The Permanent Punishment
- A Legendary Fail
- Below the Belt
- The Blunder Years
- Damned If You Do
- Joke & Dagger
- Cruisin' For A Brusin'
- Kill the Centaur
- Tied and Feathered
- Hopeless and Changeless
- Dark Side of the Moon
- Centaur of Attention
- Ash Clown
- Training Day
- Nitro Circus Spectacular
- Lady and the Tramp
- Vampire Weakened
- The Butt of the Joker
- Paradise Lost
- Three Men And Your Baby
- The Q-Pay
- Remember The Pact
- The Party Crasher
- G.I. Jokers
- The Marathon Man